Monday, October 15, 2012

Babywearing Week 2012

It is now the third year running in which we celebrated the annual International Babywearing Week in Bangkok that fell between October 8th -14th all around the world.

In the last 2 years, I have been volunteering with the Bangkok Baby Wearing Club at this time of the year to help parents with their carriers. Usually, it would just be me volunteering for such events for a few hours and not having Spud with me.

This year was a little bit different as the organizer, a passionate baby wearer as well as the owner of One Love Mei-Tai,  decided to do something a lot more interesting than just setting up a booth at a hospital.

This year, she has painstakingly organised a gathering by rallying a whole bunch of passionate baby wearing parents followed by a walk around the Benjasiri Park to not only support the International Babywearing Week, but also to raise awareness on the benefits of wearing your baby. Imagine the sight when you put about 20 adults together, each of them wearing their babies in colourful carrriers!

There was a small activity corner for the kids - in which I could only get Spud to stay put in there for about 5 minutes before she wanted to run off to the nearby playground- as well as enough space for parents to try on the different types of carriers from the Babywearing Club library.

Although I found that I struggled a little to chat with other parents as either I was busy running after Spud or trying to put Squirt for a nap as Silver Bullet and me took turns to mind each child, it was, all in all, a fun time.Nothing beat the feeling of being able to spread the love and passion on baby wearing.

There were only 2 things I regretted - it was so sweltering hot that it was a shame that we could not stayed on for much longer and the fact that even though I brought along my point-and-shoot camera, I was so busy with the kids that I forgot to take any pictures from the event!

Save for this one final shot taken by a professional photographer, Jaci Kohl, who posted this picture up on FB:

Photographed by Jaci Kohl

Happy Babywearing Week!

No comments: